Tuesday, November 17, 2009

NPR Radio: Way More Fun Than You Might Think

So I'm listening to National Public Radio at home. 

Started today listening in the kitchen, then came into my bedroom and started listening on the computer while I work on my blogs.

I love NPR and so should you, no matter where you live.  Before we go further, give it a try.

Right now I'm listening to City Arts and Lectures (introduced by none other than Linda Hunt - imdb).  They have so many cool people on this program that they intervie in front of a live studio audience at the Herbst Theater in San Francisco and broadcast live in partnership KQED 88.5 FM. 

The author of The Wanderers is being interviewed.  I didn't know the author of that famous book, Richard Price, was from the Bronx, much less that people from the Bronx don't consider themselves as from New York.  As he says in the interview, "Manhattan is New York.  The Bronx is The Bronx."

His grandmother used to do a running monologue of people that went by the window and would make him listen.  She also took him to wrestling matches.  Did your grandmother ever do that?  ;)  Apparently she was a big woman.  As Price says, "She was so big she could only move port to starboard."

Now imagine learning these and other funny/interesting things from other famous authors, actors and luminaries.  A recent interview with Jonathan Winters had me in stitches, especially when the interviewer shifted to the audience (every interview allots a portion of time to audience questions) and none other than Robin Williams came up to the microphone to ask questions.

But I digress.  NPR is just awesome to listen to.  There's a lot of awesome weekend shows too, like Wait Wait Don't Tell Me! and Car Talk

Have a listen.

No comments:

Post a Comment